Firefighters say rodents may be the reason a fire broke out Thursday morning in Chico. The fire was called in by a neighbor around 7:45 AM after they saw smoke and flames coming from the upper level of the home. The resident told firefighters he heard a scurrying noise in the attic a few hours earlier, around 1:30 in the morning, and then the power went out. Roof rats, squirrels and mice will commonly chew power lines so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they indirectly caused a short.
The homeowner apparently didn’t realize the danger and just reset the circuit breaker. About 6 hours later the fire broke out. You can read the full the story here:
In fact, rodents regularly chew on pipes, wires and just about anything attempting to grind down their teeth. As explained in our ROOF RAT CONTROL article, they do this instinctively. This is just one more reason why roof rats should not be tolerated in or around the home. Be sure to trap out local populations if you find them in or on your house using one of the methods detailed in our article.